Our lifestyle and choices have inevitably led to the spread of chronic diseases. Diabetes
and Heart disease are just a few in the myriad of disease that haunt millennials today. Age is no barrier, anyone and everyone are falling prey to such diseases with numbers increasing every single day. Following are some tips and remedies to help out those in need and spread awareness about these disorders. What is Diabetes?
When the body’s blood sugar level exceeds the normal limit, this condition results in Diabetes. Food is broken down into glucose to be carried to cells throughout the body. When the glucose can’t be broken down into energy due to lack of insulin, the body’s blood sugar level rises. Insulin is the essential hormone used to turn glucose into energy. There are two main types of diabetes - type 1 and type 2. Home remedies
- Grind three seedless Amla/Indian gooseberry into a fine paste. Strain the paste through a cloth to get the juice. Mix two tablespoons of this juice with water and drink every morning on an empty stomach. Its rich in vitamin C and promotes healthy functioning of your pancreas.
- Add bitter gourd to your diet to help control your diabetes. Suitable for both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, bitter gourd, can be had as a juice or as a dish. Extract the juice of a bitter gourd using a blender and drink it every morning on an empty stomach. Alternatively, you could also eat it as a dish in any meal throughout the day. It influences your glucose metabolism, increases pancreatic insulin secretion and prevents insulin resistance.
- Cinnamon is the secret home remedy to diabetes. It has the ability to lower blood sugar levels by stimulating insulin activity. Adding to that, bioactive components possessed by cinnamon help prevent and fight diabetes. There are two ways to consume this ingredient. First, you can boil a couple of cinnamon sticks in a cup of water and allow it to boil for 20-25 minutes. Drink this solution daily. Second, you could drink a cup of cinnamon water daily. Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon in warm water and you’re good to go. Make sure to ingest cinnamon in small quantities as it can be harmful when consumed in larger quantities.
Good to know
- Extremely good for diabetes, aloe vera juice can help regulate and control blood sugar levels. Mix some aloe juice with one teaspoon of turmeric and bay leaf powder each. This should be taken twice daily.
People suffering from diabetes should eat healthy and limit the foods with a high sugar content. By adding whole-grain food and vegetables, you’ll be adding years to your life. Alcohol should be avoided at all costs.
Food to avoid: Rice, Potato, Sweet fruits, Maida, Wheat, Deep fried foods, Red meat and Sabudana.
Food to eat: Gourd family, bitter,snake and bottle gourd( Karela, Parwal and dudhi) , cereals like Green millet, Ragi, corn and Barley . Other options include, Chickpea, Moong, lentils, Masoor, Moong Daal, Soya bean products and Chana Daal. Lastly, leafy green vegetables like Spinach. What is Heart Disease?
The main form of heart disease is known as Coronary heart disease. The disease is caused by problem in the blood vessels of the heart which can lead to a heart attack. It is one of several cardiovascular diseases, which are diseases of the heart and blood vessel system.
A variety of reasons are responsible for contracting this disease like, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, diabetes, smoking, obesity and physical inactivity. Home remedies
- Ayurvedic practices like Panchakarma or Shirodhara is beneficial for people suffering from heart disease. The former supports proper functioning of the heart and the latter balances emotions. Make sure to always follow these practices under the guidance of experienced Ayurvedic doctors. Apart from this, doing yoga and meditation will also be extremely beneficial for the patient.
- Including a healthy juice concoction like that of carrot, pumpkin and pomegranate can greatly help in heart disease. Drink a glass or two daily to improve heart health.
- A concoction of ginger and garlic juice mixed with honey or jiggery can also do wonders for your heart.
- To support and strengthen the functioning of your heart, an oil soak would be beneficial. Take a cotton cloth and soak it in warm sesame oil or ghee. Apply this cloth for about 15-20 minutes daily on the chest and heart region. Applying a pinch of warm ghee on both temples can help as well. Gently apply the ghee and massage for a minute or two to relieve anxiety and stress.
Good to know
- Another home remedy is methi seeds. Soak a tablespoon of methi seeds in water overnight and chew them the next day first thing in the morning.
Heart disease is a chronic illness which involves regular checkups with your doctor. Maintaining a healthy weight and avoiding alcohol and smoking will be good for your heart. Having proper sleep and keeping your diabetes in control can also help keep heart disease under the radar. Replacing food high in saturated fats and limiting foods high in cholesterol and salt is essential. Replace saturated fats like butter with monounsaturated fats like olive oil to reduce the risks of heart disease significantly.
Food to avoid: margarine, coffee or dairy creamers, baked sugary goods, red meat, sugary drinks, refined carbohydrates like pasta, bread, low fat sugar etc
Food to eat: Fish ( Indian salmon, tuna, mackerel), dark chocolate, berries( cranberries, strawberries), Oatmeal, Tofu, vegetables( red, yellow and green), flaxseeds, nuts( almonds and walnuts), Green leafy vegetables like Spinach, Fruits ( oranges and papayas)